Sunday 7 July 2013

What shades are you wearing for summer? Orange comparisons

Hi all!

I have something a little bit different for you today - (I think) my first comparison post.

These are not in any way dupes, but I am sure like many others out there, you may be sick of the comment 'you've got loads of [insert colour here] polishes'. My other half just does not understand that there are so many different shades of a colour! So I thought I would show you some of my oranges (one of my favourite colours) - my 'summer' oranges as I would call them.

I included a range of shades, prices, brands and finishes, and all are two coats over 1 coat of OPI Nail Envy Matte, no top coat.


The polishes I used are:

Maybelline Color Show - Orange Attack (suggested retail is £3.99)
Nails Inc - Portobello (retails at £11)
Nails Inc - Porchester Place (retails at £11)
Illamasqua - Gamma (suggested retail is £14.50)
Barry M Gelly Hi Shine - Mango (retails at £3.99)


As you can see - not one of these shades are the same. Yet I love them all! There are pros and cons for all of them, which I will detail as we go through.

The first is Barry M Gelly Hi Shine in Mango - on my pinky nail. This medium bright orange has a thicker formula than the other polishes, but with careful application could definitely be a one coater. It dries to a beautiful gel like, glossy finish and levels beautifully. It is also a bargain at only £3.99.


On my accent nail is Nails Inc in Portobello. This leans much more yellow than the others and is one of their newer neon shades. The formula is very thin and sheer and needs a good shake as it splits pretty easily. It levels nicely, dries in good time and has pretty nice coverage - but would need a third coat to cover the VNL. Dries to a rubbery finish. Price at £11 - bit steep.


Middle finger is Nails Inc - Porchester Place, which I showed you a few posts ago. You can really see how it leans pinky / peachy in this comparison. This gorgeous creme was a one coater (did 2 for comparison purposes) and levels beautifully. Bit more feminine, less in your face than the other oranges, dried quickly and to a glossy finish. Gorgeous. Only downside is the price - if you want only this, it will set you back £11. Definitely worth waiting for a sale code though!

On my index is Illamasqua - Gamma. This is the priciest polish - retailing at around £14.50 - this was originally from Fenwicks for £13.50 though (and i've just found out its half price at Illamasqua.com at the moment - £7.50). This is definitely what I would call neon orange. Coverage is lovely, but my god it took AGES to dry, and didnt level as well in 2 coats as the others - definitely a 3 coater I think, or possibly two if you are more careful with your application than I am. Once it finally dries, it dries to a beautiful glossy finish though.


And last but not least is Maybelline Color Show in Orange Attack. The darkest of the 5 colours I picked, this was a surprise favourite of mine. This is a gorgeous jelly-like finish, which leaves a VNL. Application however was flawless - formula is perfect, not too thick or runny and just glided onto my nail. Best part - these are only £2 in Asda. Definitely a winner in my eyes!

Which is your favourite? Do you even like orange? What sort of finish do you prefer? What affects you buying a polish - price, finish, shade, occasion? 

Rachael xxx

2 comments:

  1. I really like the barry M polish! And I just love orange polishes! :) Yellow and orange are awesome colours for polishes. I know that since I have a pale skin, normally these colours don't work in me, but I don't actually care :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I only own 3 yellow polishes - they do me no favours what so ever! But I have plenty of orange.. I really do just love orange polish :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...